Friday, July 28, 2006

Historic Preservation is very important to a city's culture, aesthetics, and economy. When I think of historic districts I think of strong and beautiful structures that have character. When I think of cities where the historic district is the heart of the city, I think of port towns in the south like Charleston or Savannah. Seriously, would you want to go to these cities if they were just industrialized port cities plagued by large warehouses and steel structures. I wouldn't. I would want to go to these cities to see beautiful houses and churches and museums and markets, cobble stone or brick streets, large live oaks. Yes, it sounds so relaxing just talking about them. Places that are rich in southern history. Man, I sound like an advertisement for these places. But as you can see, the history, is what makes these places attractive.
By attractive I not only mean aesthetically but wouldn't you want to come to these cities and spend some big bucks or even move to these cities. That is why history should be preserved, my mother is director of the Hartsville museum and we have lived in my great grandmother's house in the historic district of Hartsville for all of my life. That is why I am so passionate about history and preserving it I guess. I always find structures built before the 40's or 50's to be sturdy and stand tall through the test of time. They just don't make them like they used to. I look around campus and all of these onces modern buildings built in the 70's and 50's or so, are becoming decrepid and dated, but if you look at the older buildings like smith-wright or DD dougherty they are classics and still look as beautiful as the day they were completed. So, I think that historic preservation is muy importante.

2 Comments:

Blogger Askinstoo said...

Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn't
quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for
different ways to earn money... I did find this though...
a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

9:15 AM  
Blogger Askinstoo said...

Hi, i was looking over your blog and didn't
quite find what I was looking for. I'm looking for
different ways to earn money... I did find this though...
a place where you can make some nice extra cash secret shopping.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home