Monday, July 10, 2006

I don't really know much about planning as of now. Since taking this class, my mind has been turning quite rapidly about the whole idea of planning. It is such an interesting subject, I think about it often. Things like what works best and why do people move the way they do and locate things in the places that they locate them. I see planning as a way to accomodate the world to make people happy, to make things work like people think they should work. I don't really know where this is going, but I am determined to get some type of juices flowing in my brain to write about something that I have been thinking about. It is a very hard task considering the things that are going on up there right now, especially since starting this class. Many new thoughts are entering my head. Right now I am thinking a lot about modern American cities and old European cities. I haven't really decided the area I want to start with this discussion. Ok. I think of that saying that you hear all the time, "Things just aren't made like they used to be" That goes well with this discussion. I have been to big cities in Europe and I have been to big cities in America. When I visit a city I respect quality, history, aesthetics. Old cities have these things mostly Europe and and a few in America as well. America is still such a young country compared to Europe and other places. I feel as if we are still in adolescence making mistakes and trying to find perfection. Cities in Europe are like our old and wise ancestors, we must respect. They have done something right to stay intact for so long.
I dislike the progress of America, and the direction it is headed in. I find that we as Americans take up too much space. Why do we do this? Is it because the US is such a large country. I was actually thinking of this idea the other day. I remember this from elementary school. Goldfish, when kept in a small tank they stay small and live comfortably in there environments, when they are moved to large aquariums, they adapt by growing larger. Do you think that this could happen to humans if you gave them more space. When people have less space they adapt, and when they have a larger amount of space they have to adapt to that. Americans have adapted to their large amount of space by making everything larger: cars, roads, building, even themselves. It would be nice to see the U.S stop sprawling, but could this be our natural reaction to this large space that we have been given.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home