Monday, July 17, 2006

Tonight I would like to review my thoughts on the movie that was viewed today. Basically, everything that was said in the movie has been on my mind since before I started this class and had no previous planning experience. I am so relieved to find out that I am not the only person who sees urban sprawl as a terrible problem that must be resolved before every good piece of land is devoured by this evil creature. When I see this type of develpment, it makes me sick to my stomach, I could never imagine anyone actually wanting to buy a house in a subdivision built where a field once was and all the houses are the same. Do these people have no souls? Life would be so bland if I had the exact same house as my neighbor.
I wish that this video had more input on exactly how to stop urban sprawl, but I can understand that maybe they don't have many solutions for this problem, they are still creating solutions. I did like the thought of reintroducing the neighborhood, and turning abandoned areas into functional and livable areas. I actually saw a commercial on the tele, or maybe it was a magazine, for an organzation that was turning old schools and abandoned buildings into homes for those in need of them. That seems like such a good idea, which it is. There are many things that we don't need, but housing is one thing that we do need. I really like the idea of recycling a building.
As time goes by I think that many more people will start to see the negative impacts of urban sprawl and start to make changes that can decrease this malignant tumor spreading rapidly across land. It will definantly take some time, because subdivisions are popping up everywhere as we speak. I drive around Charlotte in order to get to Boone and it seems like everytime I drive through and past the Ballentyne area there is another subdivision popping up they are even spreading past the border into SC. They have such stupid names like Copper Ridge or Carolina Lakes... and of course every house looks the same, and they will all look crappy in a couple of years when the cheap construction causes the houses to literally start falling apart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home